1. Organize like items into containers. You might have a car supply bin, a first aid kit, or a conveniences box. Bins keep individual items tidy and easily found.
2. Always label bins and boxes for easy identification.
3. Make use of your vehicle’s built in holders and cubbies. Vehicle manual and registration belong in the glove box. Paper maps go in the door pocket or back of the seat pocket. Convenience items like tissues, sunglasses, and hand wipes go in the center console. Keep gift cards and loyalty cards in the glove box or a storage cubby. Flashlight, notepad and pen in the glove box.
5. Gather car supplies in a medium, clear plastic bin with lid: oil, glass cleaner, general purpose spray, paper towels and rags.
6. Employ a zippered pouch for coupons so that they are accessible when you want them.
7. Establish a special clipboard or durable plastic folder to hold transitory papers. Make this holder brightly colored so that you never again lose important papers destined for the insurance company, doctor’s office or children’s school.
8. Use a clear plastic pouch to gather electronic accessories such as spare GPS cords and phone chargers that are not currently in use. This can be stored in any bin or cubby that makes sense.
9. For children, specialty organizers are a must to keep drinks, toys and books within reach. Designate a separate bin just for kids’ cleanup supplies and emergency stash of toys in case of unexpected delays.
10. Use an empty tissue box or round handy wipes container to store spare plastic bags for regular trash pickup.