Is getting organized your number one New Year’s resolution? Here’s how to achieve it: AWARENESS! How can awareness help to declutter and organize? And how do you become aware? (Click on Read More)
Do these things well in advance (or even a little in advance) to gain control over the season. Then enjoy!
1. Clean out the fridge and pantry if not already done for the Thanksgiving holiday. Open up space to make it easier to store/find holiday ingredients. Find and clean special serving ware.
2. Take stock of bills and important paperwork. Many a bill has gone overdue as a result of the frenzied “clean-it-up-by-putting-it-in-a-box” style of prepping for the holidays. Make special notes of due dates and replies required on the calendar as reminders.
3. For children, declutter clothes and toys prior to incoming gifts.
4. Prepare space for guests in advance. Make the guest bed, clear horizontal surfaces, and clean the bathroom. Anticipate supplies that guests might need and purchase in advance.
5. Inventory the logistics of entertaining. Count chairs and place settings. Select table coverings, linens and candles. Purchase extra take-home containers for giving leftovers/desserts. Make space for extra coats/boots in entryway or hall closet.
6. Set up a special envelope for Christmas receipts and use it religiously as the season progresses.
Carol Martin-Ward, encouraging practical ideas for easy organizing