Bins and Boxes - Digging In
1) Open the box. Try to recall where it came from to get an idea of what’s in it. If you can make a determination for the box in its entirety – great. Move it along to: keep, trash, donate, or give away.
2) Go through each box item by item to figure out where the pieces belong: recycle, trash, donate, keep, or give away. (Set up appropriate containers for this sorting process.)
3) Take the time to label every container. For the keepers, record contents and date.
4) If you completed some or all of Part 1, there should be enough free garage space to physically separate similar items into categories, for example, sporting goods, car supplies, household tools, garden tools and supplies, children’s outdoor toys, and snow removal equipment. If not, consider stacking things outdoors temporarily to provide working space for the session.
4) Repeat until all the boxes are addressed.
Note: This sorting step can be postponed until a later date but realize that the more you declutter now the more working space will be available. Part of your goals is likely to finally make some of these delayed decisions!
After each session (you may not get through all boxes in one shot) figure in time to wrap things up. Put trash out, prepare recycling, put donations in the car and call family/friends to schedule giving stuff away. Observe your progress and congratulate yourself for sticking with it. Give yourself a reward! Then, plan a date on the calendar for the next session.
Next up: Part 3, Sort and Organize